Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

systemengineer1972

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
GB
I am a newbie to Linux.., is there such a thing (And I am sure there is) that is an equivalent to Windows Terminal services like in windows for Linux.

I have installed a server running 'Red Hat 9.0 (Apache)’ for a web host but would like to administer it remotely..!

Is this possible... any help would be great

Yesireebub. There is a program that will allow you to admin all your servers and system in general. It is called webmin and you install it on your linux box and you access it through your browser so you can access it loacally or remotely. You can get it from
Be sure to get the noarch.rpm version. The from the command line type:

rpm -ivh *.rpm

It is setup to listen on port 10000 by default but you can change that later. You would type in your browser to access it locally, or to access it remotely. You will be prompted to login as root. You can also change this later.

Well now RythemAce, you forgot remote X windows (security issue), and the Linux Terminal Services which provides interfaces for clients....

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Hi

You can also try vnc server and client.

Joe

I've never used vnc. I shall turn aside and check out this bad dude.

VNC is a good tool. Look for tightVNC on freshmeat.net. Also, webmin is a good tool except that you have to turn on the apache web server. If your concerned with security and not turning on unnecessary services then keep apache off.

War...
RHCT

Oh yea you can also modify your /etc/gdm.conf file and enable XDMCP however that also is a security problem if you don't edit your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny file to allow only your subnet to use X11.

War...
RHCT

I myself use the program putty to use the SSH protocal to get a tty interface on my windows machines

*NOTE it is only text based - you cannot use the LINUX GUI this way

%, 2004

I have never had any problems with putty - I have used it for about a year almost eveyday of the year without any problems

Cygwin is just a linux emulator what is the point(I don't like Cygwin)

%, 2004

Do you need this connection to be secure? VNC is not encrypted like TS. If you connect to a remote VNC server, you might compromise your system.

There are ways to make the connection secure. Here is one I ran accross with a quick google but you might have some
different scenario.

Hope it helps

Fernando

Is it possible to access TightVNC server via a webbrowser?
On TightVNC is says the package installs a small webserver, which is accessible tru port 5802, and then starts a Java applet/class whatever...

Do I need to install Apache for this use or does TightVNC use it's own web server?

(I assume yes, because I know how to read... but just want some kind of confirmation from anyone who has experience with this..)

Thanks!

You can also set up VNC to spawn sessions like Windows Terminal Server does. I've done this on my own machine, and when I connect with the viewer it asks me a login ID/pass.

I've heard of others creating a SSH tunnel to the above and using it to encrypt the session, although I've not tried this as I use it on a LAN only.

VNC is horrible security though...

SSH with X tunneling is the way to go. Install SSHD on the Linux box. Install Cygwin on the windows box (include the SSH package and the XWindows libraries). With sshd running on the server, run startx and from the xterm window that opens you can access any XWindows programs.

SSH provides encryption, you may even want to run a kerberos server for authentication.

Why Cygwin over putty? Because Cygwin has X libraries (if'n you need X forwarding), you can also set PuTTY to tunnel the X stuff to Cygwin or XWin32/XWin64... So that your SSH is still done with PuTTY... if you really want.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back