Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardwareGuys

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
CA
I set up a PC with Windows 2000 Server, Active Directory, and Exchange Server 5.5

Here is what happens:

From the server, I use Outlook Express for e-mail. Send to my own account works fine. Send to a known good e-mail address on another domain results in the following error: [The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. Account: 'Postmaster', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79 ]

I have not yet tested incoming e-mail from another location, only outgoing e-mail.

I think it may have something to do with the default settings in the DNS services, but I'm not sure. I have not registered an MX record in the DNS records of the W2K Server, because the public DNS information is maintained by another DNS server which is publicly accessable.

If anyone can shed more light on this situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

You should be using Outlook, not Outlook express. Outlook express is designed to be used with an ISP, it communicates over POP3 or IMAP. You will only have a hard time trying to use Outlook expess.

Are you attempting to host email for a domain or simply use exchange for internal use?

AM

Have you configured your IMS?
you should configure your IMS routing.
IMS Properties -- Routing -- Rerouting incoming SMTP mail

Time to demonstrate my ignorance of this subject...

Why should it make any difference what client program I am using to check e-mail? Outlook, Outlook express, Netscape messenger, Pegasus mail, etc should all be able to access our company's e-mail by the time Exchange Server is fully functional.

Maody, What exactly is "IMS"? I don't have that under the "Administrative Tools" or "Microsoft Exchange" menus in the start menu.

More info: Right now our company has e-mail via a very old, limited, and no longer supported e-mail program running on a Windows NT 4.0 Server. Our DNS records are managed by another company. Incomming TCP connections are routed from our public IP address to the appropriate PC on our internal network, based on the requested TCP or UDP port. The Windows 2000 Server is also on our local network, behind the router; it has an IP address starting 192.*.*.* which is obviously not that of our public IP address which is referenced by the public DNS servers.

This is my first effort at configuring ADS and Exchange Server, so I'm obviously overlooking something.

I am under the impression that I can use Exchange Server for simple e-mail both inside and outside the company network. If I am wrong in this assumption, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

One more bit of info which may be helpful for finding a resolution...

Our public DNS records reference and MAIL.OURDOMAIN.COM

When setting up W2K Server and ADS, I told it our domain was OURDOMAIN.COM and the computer's name was SERVER7 so it is seen on our local network as SERVER7.OURDOMAIN.COM and should be seen as and MAIL.OURDOMAIN.COM from the internet.

If this is not good, please let me know why, and the simplest way to change it. (I don't want to re-install W2K Server, as many other things are already working just fine).

Open Exchange Administrator program, select Configuration-Connections-IMS(Internet Mail Service)- once open click Routing tab, select Reroute incoming SMTP mail option - click add and enter your domain name with the first option.
Click OK then selsct Routing Restrictions, check Hosts and clients that successfuly authenticate - check Hosts and clients with these IP addresses - add no IP addresses - click OK - OK again - restart IMC service
In your Outlook Express go to Tools - Accounts - select your email account - under the Servers tab check option Logon using Secure Password Authentication - check My Server Requires Authentication.
I think that's it :)
One more thing, make sure you have your Primary DNS server IP address manually entered in your Exchange IP configuration.
The above takes care of routing, relay server restrictions and POP3 account access. Good luck.

NOktar, when attempting to follow your directions, I could not find the "Exchange Administrator Program", instead I have "System Manager". Many other things are different too.

It seems that I am not using Exchange Server 5.5 as I initially thought; I'm using Exchange Server 2000.

I will discontinue this discussion thread here, and start again in the correct forum. (unless people continue to help me here).

Thank you all for your input.

***** PROBLEM SOLVED *****

It seems that SMTP does not exist by default under "Connectors". Once I added an SMTP Connector for the address space "*", all outbound e-mail is now functioning as expected.

Thanks for everyone's help. Every little bit of information got me thinking in a different direction, and led me to the finish line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back