Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mholbert

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2006
US
This is probably a stupid question but here goes anyway.

What is the best way to have several (3 or so) people check the same email address.

I would prefer a scenario where all three people see the email, but when any one of them mark it 'read', it shows 'read' on all three.

I additionally need to ability to have one of the people move it from the inbox to a finished folder, and have the email move to the finished folder for the other users as well.

Thoughts? MH

I would setup a public folder. Assign this PF an email address and set permissions on this PF so that only those users can access it.

These users can create shortcuts on their Outlook client so that they can check for email messages.

That's the way I have it setup in my environment.

Interesting, I will give that a try. Thanks, MH

Good solution, but I don't think it will meet the requirement of having the messages marked as read when one individual marks the message read - only that individual will see it as 'read'.

If this is a definite requirement, you might just want to create a new mailbox, and give all of the parties involved rights to that mailbox, and add the mailbox to their Outlook profile. Obviously you will need to give them 'Send As' rights if they need to respond to the incoming messages.

I would personally opt for the PF solution, and just have them move the message as soon as they read it to avoid confusion.

Mike

I don't think it will meet the requirement of having the messages marked as read when one individual marks the message read

You can change this behaviour by modifying the properties of the folder in the ESM (navigate to the folder in the folder heirarchy, right click, select properties, and remove the tick from "Maintain per-user read and unread information for this folder").

Ben Christian
MCSE, MCSA:Messaging

Whay is everyone making this so complicated?
If 3 people connect with outlook to the same mailbox, all 3 will see EXACTLY the state and contents of that mailbox. There is no need for tweaks whatsoever.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thanks for the input. I think the final solution looks to be the easiest. I will have all three people open the mailbox and leave it at that.

Thanks, MH

You're welcome.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I agree with Marc that in this case a shared mailbox would be the easiest to set up. Public Folders make sense when you have more users sharing the resource as it eliminates the need to add the mailbox to the Outlook profile. At most, the user may want to add the folder to their public folder favourates. I wanted to point out however that it was possible to change the default read/unread behaviour of public folders!

Ben Christian
MCSE, MCSA:Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back