Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Question: Username/password prob. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hey,

I have created a database in access for our stock and our customers. The database is secure and I want 5 users to have access by individual username and password.

The database is stored on a drive with some other stock on a seperate partition on the server. This share is mapped and all users who have the share need access to the database. They all have the appropiate rights.

My problem is that when I set up a load of users and passwords on the db at my server, if I go to another workstation and open up the database there are no users set up!!!

Please help. I am a newbie and have no idea how to solve this!

Thanks Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified Professional (75 - 215)

Access has a security file system.mdw - this is where all the info on passwords and permissions is stored. You need to create a new .mdw file and link all users to this file.

Use MS Access Workgroup Administrator, which can normally be found in c:\Program files\microsoft office\office. Create a new file - ensuring that you put in on your server - or where all necessary PCs can link (join) it.

Once file is created, join all users to the new mdw file via the Workgroup Administrator.

Hope this helps.

I think your problem is you need a central mdw file on the server - This tells acces who has rights - each user would then need a shortcut that starts access and points to the Mdw file for security
If your using 2000 use the Security wizard to play with these files.
Although they need access to the server area the database is on this is not related to access security.
Let me know if I have misunderstood you

Thanks,

Can you take me through it step by step? I have opened it up and told it to join my existing workgroup. (I secured it a while ago). What do I do now? Is that it?

Many thanks :), Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified Professional (75 - 215)

Personally, I would put the MDW file in a central location on the server and then use the wrkgrp switch to start access with a particular workgroup. Simply create a different shortcut for the users to use instead of the standard Access Icon. This prevents users form creating secure database files without knowing it.

&quot;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE&quot; /wrkgrp <\\Path\File.mdw> /user <DatabaseUsername> /pwd <UserPassword>

Each switch in the above example is optional.

Exactly, lameid, you want people to use a custom .mdw file in a central location and not alter the original system.mdw on their own hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back