Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie question on VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddiehui

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
HK
Dear All,

I am required to setup a network containing one office and about 12 satellite sites. There will be two computers in each of the satellite sites. Now I want to setup a VPN network such that the 24 computers in the satellite sites can log in the domain and gain access to the database server in the office network. Would anyone please suggest any hardware and configuration settings to me?

Someone has suggested to buy one "3Com OfficeConnect VPN firewall" for the office and 12 "3Com OfficeConnect Secure Router" for the satellite sites. What should I pay attention to if I follow this suggestion?

What I expected after installing the VPN routers is, all the computers in the 13 locations can be connected just like they are installed in the same LAN. Please correct me if my concept is incorrect. Thanks.

Regards,
Eddie

Thanks for your reply. However, the Cisco routers are too expensive for me. Would you please suggest some others hardwares to me? I would like to know what is the difference between Cisco and other brands. Is it more stable? scalable? or easier to config? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back