Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Question: DTS and Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

yu217171

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
CA
Hi everyone,

I'm transferring some tables to a remote SQL Server using the DTS Import/Export Wizard from a local SQL Server. When I transfer the tables, my relationships are not included in the transfer. Is there a way to enforce this?

To Clarify:
To transfer my tables, I'm using EM. I right click my database and select export. Just thought I'd clarify as to how I'm exporting my data.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Some things to check:

- When on the screen "Specify Table Copy or Query", be sure to select "Copy objects and data between SQL Server databases", instead of just "Copy table(s) and view(s) from the source database.

Also, on the "Select Objects to Copy" screen, you'll notice "Use Default Options". If checked, Foreign keys will be transferred by default. If not checked, select the Options button and make sure the "Copy PRIMARY and FOREIGN keys" checkbox is selected.

If you are experiencing some other type of bug, and all else fails, I recommend scripting out the schema on the source database itself, and then compiling it on the destination. Then use DTS just to transfer the data.

Best Regards,
Joseph Sack, Author of "SQL Server 2000 Fast Answers for DBAs and Developers".

Joe,

Great thanks. I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the reply.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back