Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question, Cisco 2600 doesn't keep configuration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stingreen

Technical User
Mar 5, 2001
US
I'm setting the IP's on the Cisco Router 2600 router. But when I reboot the it, the configuration resets to factory defaults. I guess I'm gonna need to write it into the NVRAM but how ?
Thanks.

have you done a 'write mem' after the changes?
if you did it might be a problem with the board.

gabriel.

Yess,
First I'd go
[router]# copy running-config startup-config

then write the memory by

[router]# write memory

It said, OK, DONE, etc..
I rebooted again, and here we go again. Everything from the begining.

By the way When I say "restarting server" I literally mean it, meanwhile, I'm powering off from its button and make it online again. Is there any simpler way?
Sorry I'm too newbie to this.

instead of physically rebooting it , you can do "reload" command and the router will reboot it self .

if you did a wr mem and when you reboot the settings you enter are gone, the problem is on the board. Ive had that same problem happen several times with me. Just do an RMA case and they will overnight a new one to you. and Eshi is right, "reload" is the proper way to do a reboot.

Just a warning ... Before logging a RMA case, be sure that no password reclaiming was done on the unit and the offset address wasn't changed.

Do a "sho ver" and check the configuration-register. it should be 0x2102. if it is different you should change it by:

config t (enter)
config-reg 0x2102(enter)
exit(enter)
copy ru st(enter)

you may want to do a sho start to make sure it is in there. If this does not work i would RMA the unit with cisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back