Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question - Adding fields to a table after a form has been built

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2002
US
I'm sure this is simple, but I can't figure it out. I created a form using the form wizard which consists of data from 3 tables. Everything works as expected. I had to go back to one of the tables and add a field. Now I want to put that field on the form. It isn't in the field list to choose from. I tried to drag a text box onto the form and set the control source to the table and field that I want to add, but it doesn't pull down the data. I'm sure I'm missing a step, but I don't know what it is. Any help is appreciated.

create a text box, right click on it, choose the options property, select the data tab, go to control source and there should be a drop down combo box with all of your fields there.

Thanks, I've tried that. My new field is not available in the list. I know that if I created my form from 1 table, I can right click on the form button and re-choose the control source to be the same table and my new field will become available. But I created my form from 3 tables using the wizard, so if I right click on the form button and choose the table with the added field, the fields that belong in the other 2 tables no longer work. The only way I've found to make it work is to delete my form and start again using the wizard, selecting the 3 tables,including the new field I want. I can't believe I have to recreate a form every time I make a change in a table, but maybe I do?

Hi JackHannah!

In the poperties of the form, you'll find the data tab, containing the recordsource. By using the button with the three dots at the right, you can edit your forms recordsource in the Query Builder. Add the field there. You can then either save this as a query and select to use the query use as your forms recordsource, or close the Query Builder and save the changes made to the "SQL-statement".

Then the new field is available in the field list.

HTH Roy-Vidar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back