Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie question about adding a stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2006
US
Hello All,

While being very familiar with Photoshop CS2 I am a total neophyte with Illustrator CS2 so here's my dilemma:

As you may already know Illustrator does strokes much better than Photoshop so I have imported a PSD file into Illustrator hoping to add a stroke but I find myself thoroughly confused on exactly how to go about doing this!

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Bread, without knowing how complex your .psd file is, the short answer is "you can't easily do it." What I mean is, a .psd file is a raster (pixel-based) image, while Illustrator is a vector-based program.

Illustrator CS2 has a feature called "LiveTrace" that basically converts a raster image to a vector image, and for some images it works quite well. But again, without knowing how complex your .psd image is, I can't say if it'll work for you.

If you do use LiveTrace and convert the image to vector, then add a stroke, you can then bring that image back into PS and convert it back to raster. That's much easier than raster-to-vector.

-MC

Wow.

It's actually a pretty complex graphic (a logo design I'm doing for a small business) and when I was playing around with Live Trace it just looked like a mess.

That's good information to know Mac and I appreciate your response.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back