Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Q - how do you share a common contact list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chansen

Programmer
May 29, 2001
CA
What I need is a central contact list available to all users in Outlook and my VB6 app.

I'm new to Exchange. Can someone tell me if Exchange 5.5 can fill this need, and if so, point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Craig

Look in the Exchange Help for Global Address List (GAL) - this is available to Outlook when it is configured as an Exchange client.

Peter

Actually, Exchange help says little about the GAL, except that it contains all recipients in the organization, etc.

What I need to do is import contact lists from Outlook to Exchange so that the contacts can be viewed and used by all.

I've tried exporting the Outlook contacts as .CSV (Comma Separated Values) files, but Exchange does not seem to support such an import.

With that in mind, what is the best solution?

Regards,
Craig

if you put the contact list in a public folder, then it is available to anyone you give rights too. our company has a central contact list and a central calendar with 5.5. also, bring up your personal contact list and simply copy to the public folder, dont bother with exporting. dont know how that ties in with VB6 though.

So, I copy the folder over while on the client machine, in Outlook?

Too easy for me, I'm always looking for the difficult way;)

Thanks,
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back