Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie problem accessing e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J741

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
CA
I set up W2K server, Active Directory, DNS, and Exchange 2000 server.

I used the AD accounts manager to add user accouts, and used the "exchange tasks" functions to add an e-mail address.

The client logs-in to the W2K domain with his user account and password. When Outlook Express (or any other e-mail client program) is used to try and access the e-mail account, it informs me that there is a "bad username or password" but doesn't tell me which. The account name and password I use are the same as that for the W2K AD login, and I can not find anywhere that this could be made different.

Outgoing e-mail works fine (now that I've added an SMTP connector). Incoming e-mail also seems O.K., but I can't tell because I can't seem to access the mailbox.

Can someone please shed some light on the situation.

"and used the "exchange tasks" functions to add an e-mail address."

Please eloborate... You should have selected to create a mailbox.

If you did try OWA. If it works at least you know Exchange is setup right. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Elaboration: In "Active Directory Users and Computers", I right-clicked on a user and selected "Exchange tasks". From there, I selected "Establish e-mail Addresses". For "Alias" I entered the first past of the e-mail address (eg. user). Under "External e-mail address" I entered the desired full e-mail address (eg. user@mydomain.com). All of the rest of the options I left as defaults.

As for OWA, I will demonstrate my ignorance and say "What's that?"

Update: O.K., I noticed one bit of foolishness with how I created the e-mail adress (as described above). So now I've removed the e-mail adress, and created a mailbox (with an associated e-mail address.)

Now, the "bad username or password" issue still remains.

More details: The user's Active Directory account is "user" and the password is blank. The user can log in to the domain without a problem. I set up the user's e-mail address as "users_mail@ourdomain.com". If I try to access the mail account via username "user" or "users_mail" with a blank password, the issue remains unchanged.

In active Directory Users and Computers select Advanced Options. Then when you select the user and go to properties. Does it show an Exchange General Tab and an Exchange advanced Tab?

clifgw, Yes there is. (I didn't eve know about the "Advanced" options in AD users)

Xybertron, pointing my browser (on the server) to does not open OWA or any valid web page. Keep in mind that the "default" wb site in IIS has been disabled, and a new entry for my company's website has been enabled (and works fine) in IIS.

One of the 5 e-mail accounts which I've set up can access the mailbox, but it seems to be empty, even though I have sent mail to it from outside our company, and have not recieved any negative feedback to indicated that it did not go through.

So far, I'm finding Exchange to be very confusing, and the associated documentation to also be fragmented and confusing. The documentation seems to assume a level of knowledge I do not yet posess.

When you right click on user and select Exchange task you need to select create Mailbox then it will ask you for storage group and IS information. This will set user up so they can log on to Exchnage

*** Problem Solved ***

Yup. Create Mailbox, not Create E-mail Address. That did the trick!

Thanks everyone.

Told ya :p

Glad it works... May the force be with you :) Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back