Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Pre-ISA Installation Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnacle

MIS
Jan 15, 2003
US
Hi! I've never worked with ISA before and am faced with the task of impletmenting it in a small network. The network has about 25 users with one Windows 2000 server that currently just has one nic card. Here are my questions:

1. Can I install ISA on the existing Windows 2000 server?

2. If I do install it on the existing server should I
install a second nic card in it?

3. Currently NAT is setup on this company's Cisco
router. Do I leave that alone or remove it in the
router and use ISA to do NAT instead?

4. Do I remove all port references in the Cisco router
and control port forwarding and permits with ISA
instead?

Thanks for your help!

Some help with your questions:

1. yes can do that, depends on the role you want the isa box to play. If its your only server than you may want to invest in another one if its going to act as your corporate firewall.

2. Genereally you would have two nics. In most cases it the first connects to some sort of external network. The second will most likely connect to the internal. Some implementations have a third for a dmz network.

3. Depends where you want to put the isa box. normally i would suggest use isa to do nat.

4. In most circumstances yes do most of your forwarding thru the isa yes. it depends on where your isa is going to sit in terms of your network config.

HTH

Greg Mulholland
gmulholland@optusnet.com.au
author
Read Toms Books!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back