Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie-Periodic maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yian

Technical User
Feb 3, 2002
CY
I use HP workstation with HP UNIX.I want to ask what i should do for periodic maintenance so that to keep it to good working condition.
Thank you very much.

Hi I would also like to know about this issue....C'mon surely some expert out there can help us newbies???
Babs

While I'm not an expert, you could vaccum the dustballs out every two months (man - the hp boxes generate a lot of dust) and use SAM to trim the log files.

Check you /tmp and /etc/tmp files periodically. Sometimes the tmp files have to be manually deleted. How do you know? If it has an old date and it has a funny name like AAA19831498213zxy and it is in one of those directories - maybe it is a deletable file. What happens if you needed the file? Well that is item four - BACKUP YOU SYSTEM!!! If not daily - then atleast weekly and before you delete files like this.

Also delete the trash. Check your disk usage (bdf) to make sure that you aren't overflowing your hard drives. And never work as root. root is for maintenance. set up a user account and use it. The system only lets the user have 90% of the disk space before it complains. That way when the system crashes - the root user has 10% of the disk left to fix things. Crash it because you are out of space as root and - well you're done.

hope this helps

L

I would add to "L's" comments by saying, get yourself a copy of the "Administrators Task" book published by HP.

A lot of helpful hints and suggestions.

Cheers,

Paul

Thank's a lot.Any other suggestions from a profesional will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back