Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie on the Cisco 2924XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunlxy

Programmer
Feb 18, 2001
CN
I have NEVER touch switch before.But now,I have to setup 3 switchs.I must achieve the following goals:
Step 1. Switch1 connect network A.
Step 2. Switch2 connect network B.
Step 3. Switch3 connect network C.
Step 4. Network C need to access network A and B through Switch3.
Step 5. Network A and B can't access each other.
I have done the step 1,2,3. What can I do to accomplish all steps. Always learn, always win.

Just run a crossover cable from A and B to C. any questions post back.

If you don't want any broadcast packets from A to B then you need to create vlans which get's a little more difficult into the subject.

But what confuse me is a TCP/IP package from network C will select which way to pass through? Always learn, always win.

The only way networks A, B, & C are going to communicate with each other is through a router or layer3 switch.

Think about it. For example, switch A is on network 10.1.1.0, Switch B is on network 10.1.2.0 and Switch C is on network 10.1.3.0. They are on 3 different networks! Even if you use VLANs you still need a router.

If you want to prevent network A from talking to B, you'll need access lists on your router.

I hope this helps!

Yep, if they have different subnets, then they will omly talk with the aid of a router. If you are using VLAns, it will get even tougher. The router is going to have to have secondary IPs on the ethernet interface, or else you are going to have to configure ils trunks. Either way you will need a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back