Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Octel Question - Message Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

conniew

MIS
Nov 18, 1998
US
I have never worked on the Voice side so I'm muddling my way through right now. I have a user who says her the Message light on her phone does not light up when she receives messages until *days* later. Others here claim they have had the same problem in the past and the only thing they could do to correct this was to delete and recreate the user account. Has any one seen this one and if so, what are the steps to correct the situation? We're using Octel Overture on a Definity Switch. TIA

This can be many things and not just one or two issues. How many users are on the system ? how many ports are set to turn lights on. and are they taking any incoming calls ? Also what type of flt cards are you using and do you have a Integration device or not

Do not dive in too deeply until you have discounted user error.
Make sure that the user is actually listening to all of their messages and not just listening to the first one and leaving the others in the mailbox. Logging onto the mailbox would normally extingish the message waiting lamp which would not normally light again until another message was left in the mailbox. Then, if they listen to all of the messages - some of them will be "old".

If the system is set up right the light will come back on if they have any unheard messages as soon as they hang up from voicemail.

Point taken. Depends whether it is set for message waiting on new message only or not.

I can only answer a few of the questions as I really don't know a thing about it. One is, it isn't just user error as we have several users reporting the same thing. Secondly, there are only approx. 40 users. The only other thing is that it is only intermittant. Sometimes it works correctly sometimes not. I do know that the message light option is on for all int question. Is there something I should check?

I have had this same problem. Menu 20, then 5 for misc. utilities, 2 for garbage collect select long and all. This will clear up the problem. I would suggest you do this monthly to avoid any future problems.

We have experienced this several times and we have 800 mailboxes on our system. It usually is reported when an exec did not get a message light when he got an important message he needed to respond to immediately. Sometimes it is the other way around that the lamp will not go off.

We contact Avaya support and they perform a scan of our system and is able to run some scriot that corrects some type of database error. They get real vague on what the problem is and some support folks swear this script doesn't exist, but seems everytime they're done the problem is gone for a couple of months.

Thanks for the input. Most of your questions to me I do not know the answers to yet but I will check the menu and see about the "garbage collect". As for Avaya scanning out system, apparently we never had a line connected for them! Something else for me to work on!

We are a vender that work only on Octels If you like we can look at your system and tell you what you will need to make it work right.

Let me know

I saw the post about the Avaya script, and true there is one but they don't like to admit to it. We have also had these types of problems in the past and we re-synched the switch to resolve such issues. Just something else you can look into.

mtck01, what did you do to resync to the switch? We have been having the same problem but do not have maint on the octel with avaya any longer.

Thanks!

-Eric Pell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back