Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie - Needs help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

myko85

Technical User
Feb 20, 2005
US
Hey everyone. This is my first time dealing with VHDL, and I'm kinda lost. I'm hoping that you guys can give me some pointers.

1) I see that there are two types. There's the "Entity **" and the "Architecture Behv". When programming, do I have to include both? Or is one enough?

2) If i were to make a Gate network that did the following:

x0, x1', x2' goes into m1 which is an and gate (m1)
x0', x1, x2' goes into m2 which is an and gate (m2)
x0', x1, x2 goes into m6 which is and and gate (m6)
and then m1, m2, m6 goes into an or gate, which spits out Z.

How would I proceed? thanks

Sounds like you're really new to VHDL. Remember that this is not a programming language but a hardware description language.

1) You need both the entity and the architecture declaration since the entity just allows you to provide the input and output signals and some generics while the architecture is actually where you describe the hardware.

2) To get it to work, you need to make sure that your entity declaration has all the input signals (x0, x1, x2) and the output signal (Z) you need. Then you can describe the circuit in the architecture after initializing the signal m1, m2 and m6.

You'll find a VHDL book a good investment if you're trying to learn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back