Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie needs advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorv

Vendor
Aug 20, 2002
IT
Sorry for bothering you with such a stupid questions, but I need some advice from a real life Oracle DBAs. I am a MS SQL Server DBA for the last 5 years. Have over 10 years of IT experience. Now I want to get more into Oracle. I want to become an Oracle DBA. The thing is, we don't have an Oracle at my current job, so I have to prepare for this on my own, at home. For now, I am studying Oracle and taking certification exams. I realize, that without Oracle experience, it's going to be hard to find a job as an Oracle DBA. The questions are: should I even bother playing with Oracle on Windows platform, or in real life it's mostly UNIX ? Because it's unreal to have a commersial UNIX system to have at home (where do I get it ?), will Linux be enough ? What does Oracle DBA have to know about UNIX (Linux) ? Should I be like a UNIX administrator, or just to know enough about UNIX (Linux) to know my way around this OS ? Any other suggestions ?

All of our Oracle databases are running on WinNT or Win2k.

I've found that about 80-90% of the DBA's job is within Oracle, and therefore not platform specific. I would suggest getting Oracle for windows (easier) and using that as your learning tool. Once you get a handle on the Oracle part, the platform-sepcifics (Unix vs Windows etc) won't be a real big deal. Many (but not all) shops have a separate Sysadmin anyway.

Good luck!
Rich ____________________________
Rich Tefft
PL/SQL Programmer

Maybe you don't care to deal with operating system issues, but if you just want a "sandbox" to go play in while you are learning, you can run Oracle on Linux on a PC at home pretty cheap. The newer linux's aren't that difficult to get up and running.

Hey, guys.
Thank you for your responds. I really appreciate it. I installed Oracle on Win2K Adv. Server and also Oracle on Red Hat Linux 7.2 at home. So, now I can really practice.
The only things are left to do is to pass the rest of the OCP exams, and try to find a job as an Oracle DBA. I just hope my SQL Server experience (5 years) and my OCP certification will help me to get there...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back