Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEWBIE: Need help querying survey results

Status
Not open for further replies.

murso

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2002
US
I'm a newbie to this forum and Access XP.

Situation: I need to analyze a survey that contains 22 multiple choice questions.

Problem: The 22 questions each have 3 possible choices. I need to calculate how many people chose "A", "B" or "C" for each question. I then need to express the choices in a percentile.

MY (time consuming) Solution: Make 22 separate queries, 1 for each question. Use the results on the report.

End Result: The resulting calculation would be something like this on a generated report (I know how to do the report, but not the query for it) -
How fast do you drive? A) Very fast - 20%
B) Not very fast - 10%
C) Slowly - 70%

Question: Is my solution wrong? Can it be made easier? Can I make ONE query that gives me the result for all 22 questions that can be put on the report? Should i be doing a crosstab query instead?

Thanks for the help!!!

Hallo,

How do you store your results?
I would guess at a single table, one record per question, but how do you store the answer to each question?

A crosstab query may be what you need, but my only advice there would be to play around with the crosstab wizard and see what happens.

- Frink

Hi!

It seems like you could the calculations on the report itself using DCount to get your answers, e.g.

=(DCount("Q22", "Survey", "Q22 = 'A'")/DCount("Q22", "Survey"))

Will give you the percentage that answered A to question 22 as long as you set the format of the text box to percent. Of course you will need to use names appropriate to your Db.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

It seems to me that this could be very easily done with a crosstab query and report. Access has a crosstab query wizard.

Thanks for the help everyone! The crosstab didn't work, but tablulating within the report did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back