Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEWBIE: Multiple Databases in one catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

shope

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
CA
Is it possible to use more than one database in an Impromptu catalog? Does ODBC matter?

When in the tables dialog I can choose a different database, but it changes the topmost name of the database I have previously selected. I want to be able to have data from an Oracle database and an Access database in one catalog that the user can query on?

I cannot find any mention of this in the documentation

Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

Scott
shope@gov.mb.ca

Use Hotfiles in your report so that you can include data items that are only available in a separate database but are not in your catalog. For example, you want to test a theory that expenses are proportional to salary, and the salary data item is in a separate database. You create a HotFile for use in your report that contains the salary data item.

If you have the Administrator version of Impromptu, you can join Hotfiles to database tables. Doing so, however, may have a negative impact on performance.

C.P. is correct, Hotfiles are the only solution, unless you want to leverage a database's gateway product to appear to have 1 database when it will combine the 2 or more for you. Even if Impromptu could do it by itself, the performance would be so poor that you would dump it anyway. Cognos Query will allow multiple databases, and queries from them, but perf is poor unless it is from one DB.

Previous posters are correct. If you REALLY need to combine this data, look at products by Metagon ( They provide tools that allow multiple ODBC data sources to present a single database connection to Impromptu and other products. Haven't used them myself, but I did see an impressive demo back at CognosWorld in Atlanta ('97). Don't have a clue as far as pricing.

Dave Griffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back