Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie intro and a few question......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Z

Technical User
Dec 7, 2016
US
Hello everyone!

My interest are in collecting and preserving older central office equipment and outside plant equipment. I collect what makes phones work, not the phones themselves. I have cord switchboards, step-by-step equipment, an Asterisk switch, Adtran 850s and an outside plant display. My background is in software (20 yesrs) and electronics, also ATT outside plant. Which brings me to Definity.

I have a Definity switch I purchased a while back. And I do have some passwords. My interest in the Definity is to provide pots lines (cheaply) to my cord boards and outside plant display. Here's the parameters:
I have passwords to dadmin, craft, and cust. My processor is a TN2402 with R9. I have a c-lan, trunk card and a DS1 card in addition to other cards. I have no plans to go to Avaya for anything. Again, this is a hobby.

Questions:
What I would like to do is to create DID trunks either on the trunk card, or preferably, on the DS1 card, to dial externsions on the Definity from the Asterisk switch. I that possible as far as Definity is concerned?

I'm concerned about what happens when the processor dies. I'm assuming the translation card can't be moved to another processor( or can it?). What luck would I have finding another processor with card that would support my configuration?, I.E. are these Definity switches provisioned with a basic set that would include DS1 and c-lan? ( don't worry about passwords - that's a discussion for another thread!)?

If I know these will work, I'll try the configuration on my own and come back here when I get really stuck.

Thanks everyone for your input,

Mike Z

Yeah, you should be fine.

Here's an old doc how to configure a DS1 to an old Avaya IVR:

And here's someone else doing what you're doing:

For the most part, ISDN PRI is a feature that's always there nowadays. I'm a younger guy and never logged into a switch that didn't have it.

Any older processor under R10 has the features manually entered by Avaya. Past R10, there's a license file tied to the processor serial number. However it plays out, just replace the CPU with a licensed one in some fashion. You shouldn't have much trouble replacing it if you really had to.

Thanks! I've set up T1 from Asterisk to Adtrans and on Ciscos, but not Definity. That's the info I needed to get me a little further down the road!

Again, Thanks!
Mike.

Would it be easier to use analog line ports (stations) off of the Definity to act as trunks to the other systems? The station cards are dirt cheap on eBay. The TN742 is an 8 port board, the TN746 is a 16 port board, and the TN793 is a 24 port board.

Just add an analog phone to one of the ports and you can dial another station and simulate an inbound trunk call on one of the other systems.

Kevin

Kevin,

Yes, it would be easier and simpler. And I do have both pots station cards and co trunk cards. Let me explain. What I have and others in our collectors association, is a world wide network of connected Asterisk systems via the internet. The idea is that if you want to hear call progress sounds of a crossbar switch, you can call a collector that has published a number to his switch and call him through that switch. We are using Asterisk switches as tandems to connect together these legacy switches. That being said, I have 2 Adtran 850s that have fxo and fxs ports that connect to my step-by-step switch. They are currently served by 2 Cisco 3810 with T1 cards. I want to get rid of the 3810s because they are a pain to program. The 850s will now be served off of a Digium 4 port T1 card in the Asterisk PC. The Definity will be used to provide pots lines to my cord switchboards and lines to my osp display consisting of 2 poles, open wire, aerial cable, buried cable, and a cross box. And since I have a couple of spare ports on that T1 card, well there you go. The Definity will be connected by T1. Kind of like a personal telephone museum! Probably a lot more than you wanted to know.

If all this sounds nuts, well it's a very complicated hobby.

BTW I belong to Antique Telephone Collectors Association, Telephone Collectors International, and out network is CNet or Collectors Network.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back