Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie - installing windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavis37

MIS
Jul 9, 2002
US
do i still have to create a 2gb parition for does before I install windows 2000 server? or Should I just use the whole drive for the server. Thanks

Depends on how big the HD is and what else you are planning on installing.

I would recommend a MINIMUM of 4GB for the OS and then the other parts of the HD you can use for files and other non-OS files. The 4GB would give you plenty of room for Exchange or SQL if you end of needing in the future.

Never, ever, ever put Exchange or SQL on the system partition.

But yes, a minimum of 4gb is recommended really. You can specify the size in the setup process.

Thanks for responding..

I paritioned the drive with a win98 cd..what do i have to use to format the 4gb drive? I want this drive to be a fat format. thanks again for helping.

disregard the previous message. I figured it out. this server is going to be used a report server. no special configure other than using fat drives. sql client will be installed. thanks.

One last question and thank you guys for all your help.

I created the 4gb parition and installed windows 2000 server. I have 30gb left. I want to make this another fat parition. Should I parition this as a primary or extended.

thanks

Doesn't matter really. If you're going to allocate all the partition to data immediately then it's just as easy to make another primary partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back