Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie in trouble -- can't even save "New Project" to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenelopeC

Technical User
May 12, 2003
US
OMG, I can't even believe I volunteered for this -- I hope you guys are patient :D

I haven't built any ASP pages since '99-'00, I remember little pieces and I'm raring to go -- BUT, I can't even save a project to the server it needs to be on. I have the "ASPNET" user with permissions on the server, and my login/password has permissions on the server. What am I doing wrong? I know it must be something wicked easy...my questions always are *sigh*.

I have IIS running on a Windows 2000 server. I've had all the .NET pre-requisites listed by Microshaft installed. I'm using the following path
Please let me know if you need more info to help! TIA everyone.

PenelopeC
~~~>-/O~~~~~swimming right along

Not sure if your having the same problem, but this worked for me.

To fix IIS mappings for ASP.NET, follow these steps:1. Run the Aspnet_regiis.exe utility: a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open text box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
c. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
"%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\version\aspnet_regiis.exe" -i
In this path, version represents the version number of the .NET Framework that you installed on your server. You must replace this placeholder with the actual version number when you type the command.

2. Register the Aspnet_isapi.dll: a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open text box, type the following, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\version\aspnet_isapi.dll
Regsvr32 returns the results of the registration.

It can be done, but it's some trouble. The intended workflow is to keep everything local. That's a bit different from the previous file-server mentality, but it's what MS is pushing now - the Workstation model. So when you create a new web project, do it in localhost. When it's ready to test, deploy to server. Backup your folder daily. Sure it's possible to work off the server but it's more of a pain to set up the premissions, plus it's probably slightly slower - accessing the files over network during compilation vs. the local hd. Also, with more than one developer, you will need to copy the project locally to work on it anyway.

Hope that makes sense.

[pipe]

Chuckh70 - thanks, but when I went to the kb article, that's not the error I'm getting. Seems like I installed everything in the correct order also.

dragonwell - it made sense, but I still can't save a file to local host because I don't have a web server installed and running. Do I make my local machine a web server? Is the Bureau of Technology Services gonna freak? (I work for the City of Portland in the rogue department of communications and networking --- ooohhhh the irony!)

I will be the only one working on this project and the server I'm going to serve it on will be an Intranet that only ComNet can see.

Thanks to you both, I appreciate it!! :D

PenelopeC
~~~>-/O~~~~~swimming right along

Id' recommend installing IIS on your dev machine. This will give you a testing ground during development that you can start, stop, reconfigure as needed without disturbing the server. After the app is in use, you will probably want to come back to it to add new features later. You will want to test these locally before putting in production. Even if you are the only developer, I still think this makes the most sense.

[pipe]

Can I do that on a Windows 2000 desktop? (as in I'm not a server)
[ponder]

yes.
Add/Remove Programs...
Windows Components...
Select Internt Information Services...
Insert Win2K Pro CD

[pipe]

Hey YKW? I figured that much out so far....I still don't have it configured right. I'm not running ASP .NET 1.1

sheesh....

If that is the error message you get. The post I submited earlier should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back