Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie: Hosting setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesarkim

Programmer
Oct 30, 2003
US
I have a site that needs to be hosted. but I am trying to make it clustered environment with one machine.

so the url is going to be something like,

192.168.1.100:81
192.168.1.100:82

So i want any incoming request to go to either one of them.

Can anybody give me some instrunction to do it?

Thank you.

A clustered environment is used for fault tolerance and involves 2 or more machines. Running a clustered environment on one machine is not fault tolerant (or even possible!).

isn't it doable with 2 different static ip addresses?

something like this?

65.232.22.55:81
65.232.22.55:82

is there any way to do configuration in DNS or something?

65.232.22.55:81
65.232.22.55:82

Are the same IP address, on different ports. This would not be a clustered environment.

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish?

Let's start with what you are trying to do. If one machine goes down with you're setup, you're done. Why not put another machine online?

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
"Education is the best provision for old age."
Aristotles (384 BC-322 BC); Greek philosopher.

The most you are protecting is if your web service (because you are running 2 instances on the same machine, 'cause it has the same ip address). So you have to ask yourself is it more likely the web process (instance) is going down or the machine itself?

Most clustering environments have a load balancer in the front end to detect the availablity of service. I believe you can also use a reverse proxy on the front end to achieve the same result.

gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back