Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie here... looking for tutorials, how to get started...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearsfeat

Technical User
Nov 20, 2006
US
Hello friendly gurus,

I just inherited a copy of Pagemill 3.0 and have d/l'd the 3.0.1 patch. I am REALLY green at this web authoring thing and would like to see a coupla examples of "how to do _X_" before I jump into it. I don't want to burden you with my beginner ?'s, so I ask you to point me to a tutorial site... or some references on how to get started. And I will see you all in a bit, when I have some intelligent /'s to ask!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

-BearsFeat.

Try from the list in the FAQ - faq228-6214

PageMill is very old and most of the linked pages referred to in the FAQ have been deleted.

PML pages are almost certain to fail any modern compliance test.

While PML is quite straightforward, you'd be better off learning to use a newer application like Dreamweaver or even GoLive.

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Thanks SJD!

I kind of learned this same thing on my own after posting the question. I really was not planning on spending any money on this as it is 1/2 volunteer work and 1/2 hobby... So, I was thrilled to receive the PML disk. My happiness was a bit to premature, I guess.

I am actually bidding on an older rev (MX 2004) of Dreamweaver on eBay. I doubt that my "max budget" will win me the bid, though. Do you have experience and / or opinions on GoLive vs. Dreamweaver vs. other programs? Are there decent open source packages out there? If the website I am going to take over and maintain was built using Dreamweaver, will I need to use Dreamweaver to continue working on it? If I had a different software program to construct and change, would I have to start over?

I see that MS Word allows you to "save as" HTML. I am intrigued by that, since I already own it, but I am hesitant because I imagine it is like using a coin as a screw driver... It might get the job done but it is a PITA.

I am leaning toward Dreamweaver because is is so common, and I know someone who uses it for real who could help me out with learning. The big problem I have with it is the price.

If you have any advice for me, I would be most grateful. And thanks again for your reply.

-BearsFeat

You're right about Word producing clumsy code for webpages; Publisher is not better either.

Dreamweaver and GoLive are now both Adobe products, so I expect they'll be merged in some way in the future.

My experience leads me to prefer DW over GL, but I'm sure others will prefer GL.

DW4 or 5 should be available on auction sites.

I don't engage in the Golive Forum (forum630) or the DW forum (forum770) here on TT so can't comment on them. AdobeForums is another place to get solid advice from users and occasionally Adobe developers.

Or you can learn HTML and handcode everything yourself in Notepad!

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

This FAQ - faq68-2730 - gives a link to an appplication which will clean up MS Word's HTML.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Welly, Welly, guess what I found...

Have you heard of NVU? It is an open source web authoring tool. I am not really able to comment on its functionality or how it would stack up against DW or GL or any other... but it IS free and legal and it does work...

Check it out...

I have d/l'd it and installed it and played around a bit. It seems pretty capable. I appreciate your inputs and look forward to any other feedback you have.

Thanks again.

-bearsfeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back