Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

techninut

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
I have just started an ASP.NET tutorial and already my first testpage is not working. I followed everything to the T and yet no success. I copied a sample page into my web server and yet it does not work. If anyone has had this problem please advise. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

The page is basically supposed to just display the Server time, however it is not working. Here is my code:

<script language="vb" runat="server">

Sub Page_Load()
time.text=Hour(Now) & ":" & Minute(Now) & ":" & Second(Now)
End Sub
</script>

<html>
<head><title>The Punctual Web Server</title></head>
<body>
<h1>Welcome</h1>
In WebServerLand the time is currently:
<asp:label id="time" runat="server" />
</body>
</html>

- David

Works fine on my box. Do you have the .NET framework installed? What is your definition of "does not work"? What error (if any) are you getting?

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Yes I do have the .NET framework installed. I already had it installed because I have VStudio installed on my PC. However I installed it again to comply with the tutorial I am working on.

I am not getting an error. However, when I go to the ASP page through my browser the web page shows up, but the Server time does not. Therefore I think there is something wrong with either my IIS or something blocking my ASP. I have SCRIPTS enabled on the folder ??

How are you looking at the page in the browser? You can't just preview it in the browser; you must go to the proper url for your machine, something like:

=========================
rollout
=========================

You may not have IIS configured to handle .aspx pages. If label text shows up, but server-side processing doesn't work, that's usually a symptom.

I think the command line stuff for registration is:

regiis -i

you have to run the asp iis utility. Go to a command prompt and type the command: (Depending on what OS you have, the utility may be in a different location)
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis -i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back