Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffitd

Programmer
Aug 20, 2002
GB
hi

Im starting to learn asp .net

How do i create a web site that has the same buttons at the top of each page.

i dont what to ahve to add them to each page, as i would have to edit each page if i needed to chnage something.

Thanks

Visual Studio has a starter project if you're planning on using web forms.

In Visual Studio (or Web Developer Express):
1. File --> New Project...
2. Find ASP.NET Web Application in Visual C# (or Visual Basic)--> Web
3. Call it what you like and click OK
4. You will see the basic site it created - it has a Default.aspx and About.aspx page. Both of these pages use the same header, nav, and footer. those items come from the Site.Master Page.
5. To add a new page with these elements, right click the web app and select Add --> New Item...
6. Under Visual C# --> Web, you will find "Web Form using Master Page". select it and click "Add"
7. Select the master page you want to you (you can have many in a single project) and click "OK"
8. Place the new page head content between the HeadContent tags and the body between the MainContent tags. Note that the html, head, body, and form tags are in the master page - do not recreate them.

That should get you rolling. Check [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.asp.net/get-started[/url] for more practical tutorials.

Good luck!

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back