Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleMan1976

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2011
US
I have a PIX that work retired that i want to use to run a small business from home. I have a public IP from my ISP. The problem is I can not for the life of me get this thing configured. I know that you can copy and paste the config from notepad. What I am looking for is someone that can provide me a simple list of commands that will configure my PIX. I have done a basic wipe of the system using the configure factory-default command. This WILL connect to the ISP and I have internet on the home network just fine. But after I try to configure my static IP it quits working. At one time I was able to browse the internet form my server, but the rest of the network was unable to browse the internet. I dont have any issues creating ACL's for inbound traffic. Can anyone help me configure the basic setup?

Guess I should have said that this was a Cisco 506e PIX Firewall.

Thanks again!

Some ISPs use DHCP, and if your machines are renewing their licenses properly, I could see where this might happen.

What type of OS are you running on your server?

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

The server is running Windows 2003 R2. But the gateway is set to the internal IP of the PIX. When I do a factory default reset the outside fast ethernet pulls a IP from the default residential pool of IPs. My ISP also has Static IP's that you can asign to the first device after the modem. This being the PIX in my case. There has been two times now that I was able to configure the PIX but only the Server (192.168.1.2) in this case was able to get out on the internet. None of the other 5 machines can browse out. It is like the inside route or static map is assigned to the single ip address and not the entire inside network.

So using the DHCP to get an IP from the ISP all of the inside network works. Setting the Static IP only the server can get out. (If it works at all).

Oh and thanks for the response!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back