Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie-Help with tables/layers won't work in Netscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edie66

Technical User
Oct 23, 2000
US
Hi, I am doing my first DreamWeaver site ( and am having trouble with Netscape. I've had some responses about how awful it looks on some computers but on mine in IE at least it looks just fine. BUT, look at it in Netscape and it's all screwed up!

I've been told to use tables and not layers but am having a hard time figuring out how to do this with one big background picture (not tiled) and putting text on top of that (Info page, MP3 page). Can anyone offer any help?

Please don't be offended by the content, it's for a band and this is what they want, so just help with the design please! LOL!! (Believe me, I've had some REAL nice comments on it! LOL)

Thanks so much in advance!! :) Or email me privately if you wish.
[sig][/sig]

Well, big pics aren't really a very good idea, load times will keep a lot of people away from your site, but OK if that's what you want to do. Put the text on top of the graphics in a paint program, then insert the graphic image into a layer. Always use start with a layer, whether you're going to do text or a picture. Be sure the layers are not nested. You can do this by looking at your layers palette. When you've create your whole page with everything you're going to use inside a layer, convert the layer to tables and you're done.

OH. So you're saying do everything in let's say, Photoshop? Background and text and all and THEN put it in as one big picture? Hmmm. Never thought of that! If that's what you meant, anyway!

Thanks so much for the advice, lemme know if I got that wrong somehow! Hee Hee!

You can always use CSS to keep a background image from scrolling, and forget layering all together. It's a fact of life, that Netscape just won't do what IE will. Tables and layers almost always work different in the two, and it's unrealistic to expect your viewers to have anything but Netscape 3 or 4. Nested tables are particularly problematic in Netscape.

Option two, is to find a page that does what you want, and learn from it. Not steal the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back