Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie has a general ASP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlg

Programmer
Jun 23, 2004
US
I am very new to Microsoft products so please bear with me.

I am trying to figure out the relationship between ASP/C#/VB

I am under the influence that ASP is a server side scripting language for the web, just like PHP and JSP.

Now I'm learning that I can create an ASP web app using C# or VB.

So now that I can create a web site using C#, is there a need to know ASP anymore? I'm kinda confused.

So no-one is using ASP code anymore since they can do it in C# or VB?

When I try to create a web page, it asks what language I want to use (C#, J#, VB). So is there any reason to actually learn ASP?

Thanks for the info

Carl

ASP.NET is the new version of ASP but you can choose which language you use to write the ASP.NET site e.g. you can use the code-behind model to write the code in either C# or VB.NET.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

So then is there any need to even know ASP?

Since I can just use VB.

You can use VB/C#/J# to create windows applications as well as web applications. The IDE is asking what language you want to use in your code behind pages to create the ASP.NET application. ASP stands for Active Server Pages. You create an ASP page using a languge you prefer. ASP is not a separate language, but more a "concept". They are web pages that interact with an IIS server, a database etc. So, you don't really learn ASP per se, but you learn web programming, which differs from windows programming, however they do both share the same languages at thier core in .NET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back