Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbie Form Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkman

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
CA
Hello,

I'm pretty new to Access and I'm having trouble creating what I think should be a pretty simple form. I think I'm missing something obvious :)

I a form with a dropdown list linked to a table and when an item is choosen from the dropdown I want the form to show the rest of the information for that record. I can make the dropdown and add the textboxes (to display the data) no problem. What I can't do is get the dropdown to "control" the textboes. This seems like it should be obvious, but no dice.

Thanks in advance.

Goto design view, and use a combo box instead of a list box. Use the combo box wizard to create it. If you have any more problems post back.

Still stuck.

Here is some more detail:

- I've changed my mind and want the form to show some values from a query. The query contains a name field and a bunch of other fields from some linked tables. What I want to do is have the name field from the query appear in a combo box (this part I can do). When the user selects a new name in the combo box I would like the rest of the data from the query to 'update' in the text fields that are on the form. What I can't do is get the text boxes to be 'controlled' by the name combo box. How do I 'tie' them to one another?

Thanks

Email me your database, and I will fix it for you.
jlbock@qwest.net

Go to Design View for a new form. Select the query you want to be the basis of the data. Populate the form with the text boxes for the data you want to show. Select either a List Box or a Combo Box with the wizard set for on. The first question you will be asked is what you want the box to do. The third option is for the box to find a record on your form based on the value you select in the List/Combo box. Pick this option and the data tied to the value you select in the Box will be displayed in your text boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back