Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newbie advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzon

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2005
GB
Hi,

I am trialing an IT Support Help Desk program and it allows you to grab current network users and passwords by using LDAP. I believe this will prevent possible problems with staff getting confused with different logins and passwords.We currently have 350 staff. The problem is, the LDAP program only works with Microsoft AD.

Is it possible to pull user accounts and passwords from a Novell server to a Microsoft server?

If so, could somebody please outline the steps I should take to make this happen.

Thanks in advance,

Dzon

why dont you look at identity manager as well then your ad and edir will be integrated

but as said above ldap is a set of standards
if the program can make ldap calls then the directory that it is looking at is irrelevant

LDAP is a standard protocol for querying Directories. Outside of Microsoft, "Standard" means that it can be used with any compliant system.

Sometimes a vendor only has support staff that know AD and NetWare is a big, scary, character-screened boogeyman. I just configured a help desk system that uses LDAP for authentication to hit a NetWare server, even though it said it only supported Active Directory. What is the Help Desk program?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The help desk program is called kayako.
What program did you use?

I have not purchased one yet just trying a few out before I buy. teachers will not be happy if they have to have another username and password so it's important that I can somehow use the netware credentials.

Cheers,

Dzon

If Kayako ONLY works with Microsoft AD, it is NOT a true LDAP program. I would stay away from it as it will just get you locked in tighter to a one vendor Microsoft solution

eDirectory, along with most other directories, are fully LDAP compliant. AD is not. It has proprietary hooks and wizbangs that are not true LDAP.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Ok, Thanks for the advice. Does anybody know of a good ICT Suport Help Desk program for a college and that will integrate with Novell LDAP.

cheers,

Dzon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back