Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbee to Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcdaveh

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
US
I want to start learning Java. I'm currently at an Intermediate level with VB and VBA. Can I download a Java Compiler online and where? Will it cost much? What are your suggestions for learning resources? This is how I learned VB & VBA. I guess I can do it again!

Thanks!

You can download a Java compiler from java.sun.com

It is completely free, and made by the creators of Java, so you know it is good. That same site has a Java tutorial that covers many facets of Java. Other than that, just pick up some Java books, and you should be on you way. I have found that is a rather easy language to catch on to the basics in. And, it is enjoyable once you understand it. ------
KJR

I'm also an intermediate VB programmer who is learning Java. If the 30+ MB (34MB?) download is just too big to download (it is with a 56K modem) you can get it on a CD for $20. It's a "one-shot deal" of Java JumpStart.

As for learning Java, I'm using "Teach Yourself Java in 21 days". It seems to be doing a good job so far (I'm only on day 6). It explains Object-Oriented Programming in a very understandable way.

Sign up for Java Developer Connection (it's free). The "New to Java" section is wonderful. Be sure to check out the DiveLog application. it's nowhere near finished, but it puts some of the basic ideas into action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back