Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbe Question: About Domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

egims

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
US
I am purchasing my first server from a dedicated server provider. Once I have rented the server what do I need to do to be able to point domain names at it?

I know this is a very newbe question, but I am mainly a client side person. Help is greatly appreciated.

Do I need to register the server with Network Solutions so that it is assigned the necessary server DNS? How many domain names can I point to a server I have purchased?

Thank you for your help.

Do you already own these domain names? If not there are a lot better registrars than Network Solutions. For example, godaddy charges about a fourth as much to register a name with them. You will also notice that it takes about 48 to 72 hours for a request of any changes to your records to take place. Check out a DNS service such as and you can make all the changes you want and they will take effect within seconds instead of days. Zone Edit also lets you manage up to 5 domains (zones) for free. Just have your registrar point to their DNS servers. Then you point any of your domains to whatever IP you have. If this sounds a little confusing, Zone Edit has a lot of instructions and FAQs to help you get going. Good luck. By the way, have you ever considered hosting your domains on your own server? If you are running linux, you already have everything you need to run full blown web, mail, ftp and telnet servers and this is the place to get all the help you need setting them up.

RhythmAce,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you saying that the server I am renting will already have the typical DNS information assigned and all I will have to do is point my domain names to the server?

Are there any limits to how many domain names I can point to the server? Yes, it is a linux server.

For domain names I purchase through 123ehost.com. The cost is $11.00 per domain and you do get a control panel to make modifications. I would also add that their web hosting has proven flawless over the course of the past year for me and my clients, and they only charge $50 per year. But great service, no catch.

But back to the server issue - I have one more really stupid question but if you'll bare with me: What is Telenet access and how does one use it? With what software program?

Thanks again.

you telnet to your server with:

Windows: start/run/telnet {ip address}
Linux: telnet {ip address}

name and password at the prompts. this gives you command-line access.

you should ask your hoster if they can make it SSH instead of telnet for security. then you need an SSH client, which in Windows i recommend QVT-Net, and in linux is openssl or others. as an example of how ssh would help with security, you could attach via ssh to the server, and from there ftp back to your machine to load files etc. this avoids running ftp server on your linux box. telnet passes everything as plaintext, which shows your password if anyone is looking. ssh encrypts everything reasonably well.

when you get your C-S server up, let us know ;-) we're itching for a fight.

rick

To my knowledge, there is no limit to how many domains or sub-domains you can point to one server or IP address for that matter. The only restriction would be any agreement you have with the service you are renting the server from relating to drive space and/or bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back