Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbe is having problems with importing dates from Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

roaml

Technical User
Feb 19, 2002
US
Hello,

I am trying to import a spreadsheet from Excel to a SQL (2000) table. All data seem to import fine except for the dates. I receive the following message:

Conversion invalid for datatypes (source column 'date_required' (DBTYPE_WSTR), destination column 'date_required' (DBTYPE_DBTIMESTAMP)

Hopefully someone will be able to help. I am a newbe to SQL and this is very frustrating!

Thank you.

I have tried every data type possible. I even customed my own data type (mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss AM/PM)and I still receive the same errors.

Any sugestions?

Thanks.

Could be that you have invalid data in your Excel file, such as a month GT 12, or day GT 31 ....... SQL verifies that your data is "legal" if it's going into a date field. Maybe if you first import into a work table with a character field, then you can do clean-up, then DTS to your live table

I made a file an excel spreadsheet and succesfully imported all the data to the table. I am using the standard DATETIME format on the date field in the DB.

In the spreadsheet, if I click on the date field this is shown '1/3/1900 11:59 AM', however, when just "Looking" at the field in Excel it shows this '1/3/1900 11:59:56'. Notice no AM/PM stuff. Excel is flakey sometimes, I deal with it a lot. I will mess with it a little to see if I can reproduce what you are experiencing.

The formatting in my spreadsheet is: m/d/yyyy h:mm.

26 FName LName '1/3/1900 11:59:56 AM'

Rocco

Thank you homebrew01 and roccorocks for your suggestions. I will take a closer look at the dates and try your formatting suggestions.

I have been working so long on this and cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. So frustrating! %-(

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back