Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newbbie to DNS - please help with setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyc622

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2003
US
Can someone please assist me...

Here is my environment. We are doing hosting for a few clients on our internal servers and attempting to access them from the LAN. Client PC's are using the ISP DNS servers so they can not resolve to the public IP since we are behind a firewall.

I would like to setup internal DNS to handle client request so that they do not need to use the internal IP's.

I'm sure there is many of you who have done this before. Can some please provide me with assistance / step / links for this. And possible any security issues I might run into or want to be aware of.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Tony

Set up DNS on an internal server wich has an internet access. Add entries for all those internal clients that require their host name resolving by your DNS. Change those clients who currently use external DNS server to point to your new internal dns server. Open your firewall to allow dns traffic. Your new dns will look outside your firewall for any entries it does not know. You will also need to configure your firewall to allow only those users with internet access, and denie those who have not, otherwise all users will now have internet access.

You need to point the workstations to the internal dns server and set that DNS server to forward packedts not on the lan to go to your isp dns server. Lets start there :)

CNE, MCSE, SCSA, CLS, CCSA, CCSE, CCNA, CCNP, MCNS, IP Telephony, CVoice, CSS1, CCIE and CISSP(prog)

Noble Computing, Inc.
Consulting
kshaffer@noblecomputing.com

You need to point the workstations to the internal dns server and set that DNS server to forward packedts not on the lan to go to your isp dns server. Lets start there :)
Nobleman is correct, but we should explain. When a client tries to access the internet, you want them pointing to internal dns servers. This way, if the address the client is looking for is in the local database, the person gets to the site quickly. If the local dns server doesn't have the name in the database, it forwards the request to the next level, and once the local server finds the name, it loads it in it's local database. This way the next time a client want's to get to that site, it only needs contact the locat dns server, and gets to the site faster.
(Nobleman, what do all those letters mean?)

[2thumbsup]

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Study not to know more, but better."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (2 BC-65AD); Roman philosopher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back