Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Newb workin on basic webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger8wilco

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
US
i run a nonprofit website (the whole server and shebang), and after getting hacked we picked up a cisco 501 pix.
now i got the thing setup for basic you can only access the website and mysql server.

i would like to get ftp access on there to be accessable to only a specific dns (like ftping files to the server from home only). how can i do this?

also is there any way that i can access the internet from the server itself? it doesnt allow me to connect to the internet from that computer, how can i set it up so it works?

im not sure if i got any of the security setup, i just did a real basic that i found online at another site (just so work really..)

anything will help! thanks

If you know your IP at home, you can restrict the firewall by IP. The problem is that you may be on DHCP at home and your IP will eventually change requiring a change in the PIX. You could rely on your username and p/w in the ftp server. Don't allow anonymous connections. VPN may be an option also. As far as your web browsing problem, could you post your config?

You mentioned that your webserver was previously hacked, so you added a firewall and are only allowing mysql. That's fine and dandy, but be sure to patch MySQL on a biweekly basis ;D, or the pix will do you no good.

As far as FTP goes, setup a static statement from the outside to the internal FTP server, then when you create an ACL to compliment your static statement specify the IP address of your home as the source.

There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to browse the web from the server.

Best regards,
Ryan Lindfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back