Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

newb question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

barehug

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
GB
I have used Quark 8(or 9) years ago, and offered to make the brochure for the charity I work for. HA!
brochure.jpg

I'm using my friends Laptop with Indesign CS, while he's away on holiday.
I've used Photoshop and illustrator for 10 years or so, and thought it would be a doddle. I'm stuck on the first step!
Please could someone give me some general pointers about the steps I should take, to get this thing running?

No need to be too specific, I can look up the help files (which I would do normally, but time IS a factor), but things like layout etc, and as it's going to a printers - format (PDF?).

Thanks!

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Not sure what the question is here
Indesign works like qk lay everything out then place the images
I would sent the Indesign file to the printer with all the images and fonts unless they can not work on the program.
In this case I would make a high res PDF making sure the fonts are embeded in the file.

thom

The longest jounney starts with the first step.

well, what I really wanted to know;
The layout would be 8x A5 facing pages p1 being the cover, right?
Indesign is supposed to not be able to make booklets (or am i missing something?) how would I go about getting it to do so?
And, As some of the images will be to the edge of the page should I reduce the margins to 0 mm?

It's been years since I used Quark, btw, and at that most of the time single pages, or templates used.

Thanks

Hi Barehug,
Step 1: File>new
Step 2: with the new file window create 8pages, and tick facing pages then ok.

Under window>pages.
you will get the same page layout window as quark.

To change margins, you could have done it in the New document window or you can do it under layout>margins and columns

Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back