Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New XP install, can't login cos "domain does not exist" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

benpollinger

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
GB
I installed WinXP Pro from scratch (not an upgrade). The machine is a stand alon PC, no network, just a dial up connection.

All went well. I was asked to create users, which I did for family members. However, I cannot log in as any user. I did not set any passwords, but am asked for a password when trying to log in.

Whatever I enter, I get the error: "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

I assume I mistakenly gave XP a domain or workgroup name during setup. Is there any way to fix this?

A repair installation (from CD) made no difference. I can access the XP partition from another machine by swapping out the hard disk. Are there any files I can edit, or is this all in the registry?

cheers,
Ben

Take no offense, this may sound dumb. Did you try leaving the password box blank? Put only the username and hit enter?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

When you are entering your username and password, what shows up in the domain box?

You should have a User name login and a password box. Also out to the right should be a OPTIONS box I believe. This can be selected and a domain box should appear at the bottom if you gave the machine a domain. Hit the drop down and choose the domain you created.

ME

check your network drives
I had this happen to me and it was the drives for the network card

Go to control panel-> Users and ucheck the "Use Welcome Screen at logon" and that should give you the classic logon.
Another thought, right-click My Computer and go to properties. Under Computer Name, does it show you belonging to the Domain?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Did you specify a password for administrator during the install? That is the best login to use initially, since you can do everything from there.

If you don't use a network, then never specify a domain during the install. Even with a simple in-home network, use only a workgroup name during install. If you don't have any network, then XP should not be looking for a domain.

Dale

I installed WinXP Pro from scratch (not an upgrade).

Why not just reload? If you haven't yet logged in, and it is a New Install, there is no Data to lose. Format and start over...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Ben,

Start over.
Matt Wray is correct that you will spend more time untangling any problems in the SAM database and whatever else is now configured than it is worth.

Clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back