Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New XP Can't Connect to Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

emumaster

Programmer
Aug 30, 2001
US
I have searched thru other threads here, but still am at a loss to solve my problem. So here goes:

I have Windows NT 4.0 with SP6
Exchange Server 5.5 SP3

All Ip address's are specified (no automatic dns)

I have a mix of windows 98 and xp machines on the network which function. The problem is I had to take a machine that was connecting to the exchange server and wipe it clean and reinstall windows xp home. This machine won't connect to the exchange server now. Specifically, when I go to the control panel and then click on mail to add a new mail account(Microsoft Exchange) it can't find the microsoft exchange server so I can't even do a check name.

I can ping the ntserver with no problems.
I have checked and rechecked address's, gateway and dns numbers to make sure they are the same.
I have tried adding a lmhost file with ip and name, that didn't work.

I am stumped! Another interesting thing is that it will allow a pop3 email account to be set up, but when I go into outlook it will make me pop up a box to put in my name, password and domain.
That's weird because that's setup and on startup I put in name and password. Why is it re-asking??

Maybe it's related..
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are your other computers running Pro or Home? Home doesn't play well with the domain.

The computer is running XP Home.
But so was this same computer before I had to reformat and install the OS.
The only difference was this machine was a Windows 98 machine then upgraded to XP Home, and it worked fine.

When it flaked out and had to be reformatted and windows XP Home Full edition was laid down, that's when the trouble started.

The first place I would check is XPs internal firewall. It may be blocking the ports you need to see the Exchange server. This would make sense as home use rarely includes an Exchange server on the local LAN.

If they are open and it still does not work, I would use telnet to try and talk to the ports on the Exchange server. If you can communicate to the ports ok. It means your email client configuration is probably where the issue is.

The ports numbers are in the FAQ I believe.

I've never used Telnet.
Can you tell me how to use it to talk to the ports??
And what email client configuration are you referring to?
If it's the one on the XP Home computer then, remember that it won't let me even start to configure for exchange server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back