Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Words 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
*could* - damn this no edit milarky!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

==>getting rid of certain numbers because they haven't been used recently.
Or what about getting rid of certain statistics because they ahven't been used recently?

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

Cyclogiros (or Cyclogyros) are still around, just using a different name. There are quite a few people playing with what they are calling a "Fan Wing". Seems to be the same thing.

Manglement
In the UK we have several organizations that practice (practise for our US cousins) this - collectively they are known as "The Public Sector"

I took a course in something similar at school - Angle Manglement - I failed, because my parents couldn't afford to get me a Trigonometer. It was a protracted failure.

Once upon a time, in another job, far, far, away, our single, female office manager was known as "Miss Management".

-- Francis
The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office.
--Robert Frost

flyboytim, in the US we spell it "practice".

flapeyre, I've worked in data processing for a very long time. Over the years, a lot of organizations have referred to the data processing organization as "Management Information Systems", or MIS. I always got a private chuckle out of people who got the title "MIS Manager". Mostly because it was usually an accurate label being applied.

[bigsmile]

SamBones, the person in question was just an administrator; she did not have any programming-type experience. She was in charge of paper clips and staples.

But I get your point. I have a feeling that companies have long been moving away from MIS, partly because of the unintended double entendre (although, it would also be a redundancy, as the "M" itself stands for "management").

-- Francis
The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office.
--Robert Frost

I suggest that said lexicographers are "jumping the gun" in their silly presumptions:

...We don't see plans to obsolete Sphinx from dictionaries.
Unless it is a lexicographer with a rather tight sphinxter. ;-)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

HeHeHe. [2thumbsup]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Ben - I feel very strongly that I must protest your assertion that we should kick old women for the crime of not marrying.

Tony

'to boot' is a colloquialism or another way of saying 'besides', which I must've inadvertently picked up in the southern states of the US...

In no means, do I want anyone to kick older unmarried ladies/women out there...

unless their wrong doings warrant a 'boot to the derriere'...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Ben,

Somehow I get the feeling that NightEyes has her/his tongue planted firmly in his/her cheek (the cheeky devil). <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

ahem.

Well spotted Santa.

Tony

(ahim)

Since we have a female neighbor named Tony, I didn't want to make any incorrect presumptions.

[santa]Mufasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back