Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Words 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least they didn't spell woot with zeros (w00t). The OED isn't quite ready to stomach leet-speak (neither am I).

-- Francis
The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office.
--Robert Frost

denialist - thought that one was already in use for ages, at least I heard it a few times while last I was in the US (early 90's)...

and the last paragraph, I knew that has been around sinde the 80's - 90's as well, at least in and around colleges... (probably just got more popular due to that TV show)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

At least they didn't spell woot with zeros (w00t). The OED isn't quite ready to stomach leet-speak (neither am I).
But that would be so K3W1 (KEWL=Cool). I remember when Slackware (the oldest Linux Distro) released verion 1337 (LEET)in honor of this very subject. Leet-speak isn't quite as bad as the texting shortcuts, e.g. ur, and u for your and you.

I remember when I was about 10-12 years old and I received a dictionary for Christmas. My parents were so amazed that terms like RAM, ROM, and Floppy Disk were listed.

Noway said:
My parents were so amazed that terms like RAM, ROM, and Floppy Disk were listed.
My dad had a floppy disk, but he had surgery that fixed the problem.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

My 7 year old son just coined a new one on holiday.
Whilst planning to go swimming with the assistance of a breathing tube he said "Daddy, I'm going snorkelising!" We liked the word so much that for the rest of the holiday, we all went snorkelising in the Mediterranean, using our 'snorkelisers' frequently.

Regards

T

My wife coined new word a while back which has started to spread in some circles at least - itab.

We have an English Toy Terrier (Toy Manchester Terrier to our brethren across the pond), and they are well know for getting into a position with their back legs straight and stiff, but their chests down on the ground. Lots of dog do this but ETTs seem to spend half their lives that way.

My wife describes the position as itab - In The Air Bum. To be doing it is itabulating. One who does it is an itabulator. One who is learning to do it is an itabulant etc...

At Crufts a couple of years ago she was chatting to the woman in charge of the American TMT club and mentioned the word. She found it hilarious. Shortly after that it appeared in an American TMT newsletter and aparently it is spreading.

Taking over the world, one word at a time... Mwahhahhhahhha.

Tony

My wife just reminded me she coined another one as well, which has now been published to a slightly wider audience than the American TMT club.

If you ever walk a dog, you'll be aware that they like to smell where other dogs have peed. Having sensitive noses, this potentially conveys a lot of information about the dog which generated the pee. When our dog does this, my wife says she is "checking her peemail". She has been using the word for at least about 7 years.

A recent book "In Defence of Dogs", by John Bradshaw, uses the term. We live in Bristol, which is where Bradshaw is based, so it could easily have got to him by word of mouth.

Tony

awe, they haven't added 'spatulate' :-(

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

I really think there ought to be an 'UPDATION' of data.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Welsh,
Every time I hear that, or see it in code, my eyes bleed a little.

NIGHTEYES,
My kid sleeps like that.

Lod

You've got questions and source code. We want both!

Lod said:
NightEyes, My kid sleeps like that.
Like what?...Checking his "peemail"? <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Santa,

the ITAB...
It's kinda funny, she sleeps on her knees, face mashed into the bedding, with her bum in the air. I just hope she doesn't have neck problems later.

Lod

You've got questions and source code. We want both!

Lod - I do that most Friday nights [cheers]

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

I can see why "cyclogyro" (the spelling Google insists on) is now obsolete. The device seems inefficient at best, dangerous at worst. It looks like someone once asked the question, "What would happen were I to take the worst elements of an airplane and an combine harvester and put them together?" then actually went ahead and built the damned thing.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

I can't believe "aerodrome" is falling out of use... I hear it frequently in the antipodes.

Annihilannic.
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Endangered Words List said:
"Aerodrome" and "charabanc" are among the words presumed to have become extinct in the past year, according to lexicographers.
I suggest that said lexicographers are "jumping the gun" in their silly presumptions: [ul][li]Aerodrome is still actively in use in place names such as The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Red Hook, New York. Additionally, The "NAV Canada" Directory of all airport facilities in Canada, uses the word aerodrome (to the exclusion of airport) to identify each and every aircraft landing facility in Canada.[/li][li]Charabanc has only about 200,000 hits on Google. There are websites that focus on charabancs such as The Whitby Steam Bus and Charabanc site, which immortalizes the charabanc in automotive history. Granted, a charabanc is an automotive relic from an age gone by, but the Sphinx is also an ancient relic -- We don't see plans to obsolete Sphinx from dictionaries.[/li][/ul]I assert that just because a word refers to an object that is either no longer state of the art, or it refers to something ancient, does not give license to word critics to banish words to lexicographical oblivion.

I also take issue with the assertions of the lexicographers that the words should disappear due to disuse. Here are the (approximate number of) Google hits for each of the words that the article contends have become "extinct" during the past year:
Code:
Aerodrome:   6,590,000
Charabanc:     198,000
Wittol:        108,000
Drysalter:      37,300
Cyclogiro:       4,200
Stauroscope:    18,000
Supererogate:  474,000
Succedaneum:   907,000
Woodfell:       39,000
If each "extinct" word was costing taxpayers millions of dollars, pound sterling, francs, et cetera, for dictionary appearances, then there would exist at least be some financial justification for obsolescence.

To me, this issue is similar to getting rid of certain numbers because they haven't been used recently.

[santa]Mufasa

well we cause start with imaginary ones Santa ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back