Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Windows Don't Pop Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickej

Instructor
Jan 2, 2003
US
Since I had such instant and accurate advice the last time, I'm back with another question. Im using GL6 to produce a thumb-and-popups gallery page, where clicking on a thumbnail pops up a larger version of the image. I've set up actions in GoLive for both Open Window and Slide New Window pop ups but even though both of them work beautifully on my system in both my preview browsers (IE5 and Opera 6), when they're uploaded, nothing happens, even though the cursor indicates that the thumbnails are "live". When I say nothing happens, I m no window even attempts to appear, there's no indication of web traffic, nothing. I assume it's something to do with the CSS Java that GoLive generates, but aside from flattening the script before uploading (no result), I wouldn't know what to do about that.....
Nivk J.

Hi Nickej

I have done this on Click Sentinel Register to see two thumbnails. Is that what you mean? To do this in GL6, click the thumbnail and then on the Inspector/Basic drag the Source Icon to the full size picture in your site listing to connect. That's all I did. Hope this helps.

Regards

Hi, PJCF--
Actually, what I was trying to do is exploit a new button in GoLive 6 it turns out. One that, when a link is clicked, doesn't merely open a new browser window in top of the existing one, but does a cool little animation to slide it to the center of the viewer's screen. Looking at the code in the HTML window, I believe it depends on a little bit of Java, rather than HTML or even XML.
Strangely enough, it turns out that the problem I was having was not in my use of GoLive, but rather a known bug in GoLive 5 that was never fixed and found its way into version 6. It seems that unless you set GoLive to upload your site as binary (and maybe to write all your Java to the page, rather than to a library...there seems to be some controversy over this....)that some of the more sensitive actions get all scrambled. Less format and context sensitive actions continurk, and the sensitivity may be platform and/or browser specific, as well, to add to the confusion. You can check out the link to the discussion on the Adobe forums here

(sorry about the unclickable link....I've tried several different markup tricks to keep it together, but you'll have to try cutting and pasting after the "http", as the TGML doesn't seem to want to let this link out.....)

and, if you're interested, the fixed up site as it now stands with functioning pop-ups at
Thanks for taking an interest!
Nick J.

Make sure you have uploaded the folder called "GeneratedItems" and its contents, CSScriptLib.js. That's what holds all the javascript that allows the actions to work. I suspect that's why it's working locally, but not on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back