Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEW WINDOWS 98 INSTALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

nucleus2

Technical User
Jan 1, 2008
US
HI; I have been trying to install a new WINDOWS 98 program to a used computer. I cleaned it,the program seems to install it is a new leagel program. But when I get to the end of install it say on reboot. ""WHILE INTALIZING NDSIS. WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR! YOU NEED TO RESTART COMPUTER. {It will not start in NORNAL mode only in SAFE mode. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT COULD BE CAUSEING THIS ISSUE.

While in safe mode look in the device manager for error ticks.

Could this have been NDIS2 error? Which would indicate a network card or device error where the drivers it tried to load didn't match up with the actual hardware.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

If you've hardware you can disconnect (eg, PCI cards, second optical/hard drives, any external devices), do so, and try again. If it boots ok, reconnect one at a time.

If this is a older computer it may not be ACPI compliant. Try using the set up peramater from a dos prompt:
Setup/p i

One other question..What is the processor speed that is in this pc?
There is a timing calibration issue that can cause a divide by zero issue via NDSIS if the cpu is to fast for the version of 98 that you have that could also cause your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back