Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Window in IE, not

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbrooks

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
US
This has bothered me for some time.

I have IE open to "any" web page.

I double click a URL on my desktop (or I click a URL in an e-mail I have received).

IE does not open a new window, but opens the new page from the existing window, replacing the "any" page.

Is there a setting somewhere in IE that opens new pages every time you click on a URL?

(I hate this because I'm often bouncing around from place to place and have several open web pages on my desktop. If I click a URL somewhere, invariably I lose something I was working on and then have to hit the back button to retrieve it...)

Go to your Explorer Tools>Internet Options and click the Advanced tab. See if you have the 'Reuse windows for launching shortcuts' selected?

If it is selected, uncheck it.

You can right click on the link/url and select "Open in New Window..."

Thanks guys. (I did look at options earlier! Doh!)

Now if only we could figure out why it takes IE thirty seconds to start!

Frank

Try this 1st .
Start > Find > Files or folders , type into the top space > Hosts (no extension, just Hosts . Make sure you are in C drive )
& press Enter .
Right click & rename to > Hosts.txt

If the above dos'nt help , give it a good clean out & speed up your Internet browsing .
1CLEANUP..........

And / Or ,

Spider finds hidden Url's that other mean's don't .
Cleans >
1 . Hidden Url's .
2 . Temporary Internet Files .
3 . History Files .
4 . Cookies .
Click on Spider , not Spider Bite .

And / Or

Index.dat
Delindex works in Win98 and WinME .
The primary purpose of Delindex is to delete Index.dat files which are never resized, and only
get bigger. These files contain all your web surfing history since they were (re)created, and
large index.dat files can cause performance issues with browsing. Index.dat files cannot be
deleted if Explorer is running. The secondary purpose is to delete junk files for reasons of
space, privacy, and performance. Delindex is "stand-alone" program and requires no installation
and no other files to run. All notes are within the program, so there are no separate ReadMe or
Help files.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You can protect your comp from Spyfiles by using these 3 programs together .
What does SpyBot-Search & Destroy?
SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever being installed.
SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition
to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

Not networking , this will help .
1) Tools -> Internet Options
2) Connections tab
3) LAN Settings
4) Uncheck "Automatically Detect Settings"

----------------------------------------------------------------

Give it a good clean out & speed up your Internet browsing .

You can protect your comp from Spyfiles by using these 3 programs together .

What does SpyBot-Search & Destroy?

SpyBot-S&D searches your hard drive for so-called spy- or adbots; little modules that are
responsible for the ads many programs display. But many of these modules also transmit
information about your surfing behaviour and more to the net.
If SpyBot-S&D finds such modules, it can remove them - or replace them with empty dummies in
case their host software won't run with its bot removed. In most cases, the host still runs
fine after removing the bot.
For a list of 'supported' bots see the feature lists below. The Spybot-S&D interface is so
easy, that updates just require replacing a file of about 80k in size. Those updates are
distributed by my software mailinglist, over this page and are also available from inside the
programs update section.

Another feature of Spybot S&D is the removal of usage tracks, which makes it more complicated
for unknown spybots to transmit useful data. The list of last visited websites, opened files,
started programs, cookies, all that and more can be cleaned. Supported are the three major
browsers Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator and Opera.

Last but not least Spybot-S&D contains some routines to find and correct invalid entries into
the registry.

Red entries indicate spyware problems that should be fixed to avoid security and/or privacy
problems. This is the only kind of problem that is preselected to be fixed.

Black entries are system internals. If you do not know what they mean, I would suggest to either
keep your fingers from it or visit the support forum.

Green entries indicate usage tracks. It can do no harm to remove these.

I personally only remove the Red entries as the Green entries remove items I use .

Make sure you use the SpyBot > Online > Update button regularly .

-----------------------------

SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever being installed.

How? By setting a "kill bit" for the CLSIDs of spyware ActiveX controls, it prevents the
installation of any of them from a webpage. You can run Internet Explorer with Active-X enabled,
but you will never even get a "Yes/No" box popped up, asking you to install a spyware Active-X
control (Internet Explorer will never download or run it!). All other Active-X controls or
plug-ins will work fine.

The SpywareBlaster database contains information on these known spyware Active-X controls. Make
sure you run the Check For Updates feature frequently to get the latest database! (And make sure
you check the new items to protect your system against them!)

As a side benefit, setting this "kill bit" will also prevent the spyware Active-X from running,
in many cases, if it is already installed on your system.*

--------------------------------

SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition
to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is
detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware! And you can easily have an
anti-virus program running alongside SpywareGuard.

Features Listing: Fast scanning engine
Scans exe and cab files - the two most popular file types for distributing spyware
Signature-based scanning - for known spyware (list)
Heuristic/generic detection capabilities - some spyware programs can be detected even if the
code undergoes significant changes
Small size - with a small size and small definition sizes, download and updates are quick
SG Control Panel - provides easy access to help and integration options
SG LiveUpdate - provides an easy updating solution
Spyware files are blocked before being opened or run - they are not simply shut down after they
are loaded in memory (and after they have performed their tasks)
The full path to the spyware executable is provided on the alert screen
Once a spyware file is detected and blocked from running, the options are provided to either
continue or to delete the spyware file
It's a free download

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1CLEANUP..........Clears your computer of Unneeded Files: These may possess any attributes left
to be specified by the user. In addition, all zero length files and folders are included
automatically. Recent Documents: Recently accessed files which are displayed in Start Menu->
Documents and stored in Windows' Recent folder. Favorites and Bookmarks: All favorites and
bookmarks created and stored over time by the user. IE Cache: This includes cookies, history
and Temporary Internet Files created by the Internet Explorer. Dead Shortcuts: Shortcuts to
files that have been moved to another location or deleted from the computer after the shortcut
was created.....(free).....GO THERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back