Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New VLAN shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

syndicate47

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2001
GB
I have created a new VLAN on a Catalyst 3500XL and assigned port 24 access to it. The VLAN has an IP and Subnet Mask but for some reason it is always ahutdown. I have tried the no shutdown command but nothing happens??

This is all new to me and I'm learning as I go. Any help would be great.

Thanks

You can't do this on a 3500XL as it is a Layer-2 switch and has no routing (Layer-3) capabilities. To route between VLAN's you will need a minimum of a Catalyst 3550.

This post is getting rather a common occurance on this forum and it seems people just don't read the documentation. Have a search for 3500XL or 2900XL (or 2924XL etc) and you should find a few answers.

Andy

This is a layer-2 switch and there's only 1 SVI up at any time which is used for switch management purpose.

So if you want to make a new SVI for management purpose, you need to shut down other SVIs first if they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back