Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New virus and can't remove 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitelD

Vendor
Mar 21, 2006
US
I saw a youtube video that I wanted my wife to see. So, I downloaded savetubevideo. Now my browser redirects to landing.savetubevideo.com. Malwarebytes, Spybot, nor AVG detects it. Has anyone seen this before?

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS, ATSP/IP

Yes goom have a star. Thanks to everyone that replied. I had to reinstall the savetubevideo software and then use Revo Uninstaller Pro. I did that a couple times and then I uninstalled Mozilla completely and then reinstalled and that has seemed to fix it, I hope!

NCSS, ATSP/IP

Thanks again.

This is the first crapware that I've seen where you have to remove Firefox and reinstall to get it fixed. I've seen IE hosed beyond use infinitely more often.

Ever since this happened I now get:
Server Error 404 "Default Website"
This happens on yahoo mail and other links. I am about to pull my hair out.

NCSS, ATSP/IP

I could return the favor by telling you to take it to a professional. This is what we are paid to do.

However. You are using the right tools in my mind. Malware Bytes has done a good job of cleaning up stuff in our environment. Have you pulled the hard drive and put it in a different computer? This is the easiest way to clean systems like this. I didn't read all the posts but I think this is a laptop but that doesn't matter. Most laptops made in the last 4 years or so use SATA drives so if you have a desktop that uses SATA drives hook it up as a secondary drive, of course make sure your AV is up to date before doing this. Run multiple full scans with Malware Bytes and Spybot. Once all those are clean then do the same with your AV program. Then reinstall the drive in the laptop and run the scans again. If these do not fix it. I would just reimage the machine. You are wasting more time trying to fix the issue than it would take to start over with the system.

one last thing to do, before I would suggest the same, as in reinstall the OS...

open a CMD line window (START >> RUN >> CMD [ENTER]) there type the following and hit [ENTER] then reboot:

netsh winsock reset catalog

that command redefines how Windows network software should access network services to the factory default settings. It is known that malware hook into these to redirect network communication...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I found the issue. I had looked at my Hosts file before and did not notice something. I finally noticed it, removed it, and all is well now. Thanks guys for everything.

NCSS, ATSP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back