Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new video card needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsav

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
Current system XP2000+, 512mb DDr ram, 80gb HD, All in Wonder Pro 32mb graphics card.

As you can see the graphics card is quite old, but perfectly suited to my needs so far - no fast games and can watch TV instead of working!

However i will soon start video editing form my new Digital Camcorder. My question is, will the AIW card be good enough or should i upgrade to at least something with 64mb. If so, any recommendations.

I also have some old analogue tapes that i wouldnt mind putting on PC. Any suggestions for software that will let me put digital and analogue on PC.

Thanks

Jim

Well the more powerful machine will increase the performance of the AIW card to a certain degree, if it were me I would suck it and see before going out and spending lots of money on a Pinicle or new All in wonder card. What you have maybe fine for your needs.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

When it comes to video editing, there are 2 main factors:

1) Capturing video
2) Editing/Applying effects

If the quality of captured video is fine, then there's probably no point in upgrading your video card. The video card has nothing to do with editing/applying effects. You would need a professional card from a company like Matrox for it to make a difference. All "gaming" cards out there don't have the ability to apply effects in realtime. This is handled by the CPU if you don't have the right card.

The only upside I could see of upgrading to the latest AIW is for better capture quality. ATI has constantly improved their TheatreRage chip that handles the video input.

Plus, you mention that you have a digital camcorder. For that, you would probably need a Firewire port for anyway. No point in converting it to analog first, since that takes more time.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

thank you both for taking the time to reply. i will stick to what i have got i think. BTW, i do have a firewire port already. Cheers

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back