Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new video card & problems in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

crow1

Technical User
Sep 13, 2002
US
I have an HP XT963 computer and am trying to install a Geforce4 MX 420 (PCI) video card. The card works fine and all but upon loading up Windows XP, the taskbar/start bar doesn't appear.

Also, when starting up a game, the opening screen displays fine but after that is done loading and the game actually starts, the picture goes black.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Is it possible you need to adjust your screen to see the (maybe auto-hidden) taskbar?
Tried hitting the Windoze key to see if it pops up?
Also, have you run dxdiag from Start/Run?
That's another way of diagnosing video illnesses.
My 1 experience with the MX chip set was a downer, so I insist on the Ti series...and have had phenomenal success so far.

What version of the drivers for the MX are you running? I would suggest using the 40.41's. They can be downloaded from nvidia.com

I just fell in love with these drivers when I started using them, they gave some extra life to my aging GF2 GTS AGP.

I forgot to add that if you are using an addon card with the i810, disable the i810 in the device manager (not uninstall, disable!) to reduce conflicts with the MX420.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back