Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new USR 5610B v92 modem poor connections 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlar

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
US
I just replaced my winmodem with a new USRobotics 5610B V.92 modem. With my winmodem I used to connect around 45k but after installing the URS 5610B modem I get very slow connects from 31k to 36k some times as slow at 14400. When I do connect at 36k the throughput is slower than when I connect at 34k. I called tech support and they had me disable v.92 but still can not get a decent connection. I know when I used to run a BBS with a HST dual standard tweaking the init string and s registers I could get better connections but it has been so long since I have done this I dont remember where to start.

Or does someone have another suggestion?????
I even reinstalled windows 98 and Linux to my system and am not having any luck..

I unplugged my phone from the modem and now my connection speed has improved to 37333 but am still no where near what I could connect at with my cheap old $14 Lucent winmodem....
Please any other suggestions or do I need to just go back to the cheap winmodem. I want to run linux and that is why I switched to a hardware modem.

You might try a rf filter. they seem to clean up line problems and improve speed with several different USR modems.
This is a low pass filter, such as used with DSL to keep any high frequencies out of the low band.
Available at Radio Shack at about $10.00. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I have the exact same scenario (cheap Lucent winmodem to 56k performance pro v.92) and I am connecting at very poor speeds (28.8 consistently though). When I go into terminal mode under the PhoneTools program that came with the modem, it says speed as 28800 even before it dials, so apparently something is set wrong. It never goes above 28.8, but i was getting 48k and even 52k with the winmodem. If anybody has any suggestions (init strings and such) let me know. I am using Win2k SP2. Bill Zielinski
bzielinski@co.midland.mi.us
County of Midland, Michigan

Connection Issues:

There should be no connection issues between any of the following:

V92 -> V92
V90 -> V92
V92 -> V90
V92 -> V34

However with a

V34 -> V92

connection, you will have to disable the following in the settings of the V92 modem only:

AT&F1
ATS15=128 (Disable v.42)
ATS32=98 (Disable V.90 & x2)
AT&W

You can't beat that Lucent chipset for a dial-up. (I'm a little biased since I'm retired from Lucent)Seriously, I use a cheap Lucent modem and it has better throughput than my US Robtics modem. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I switched to a hardware modem so I could load Linux on my system but with the slow throughput and it assigning itself to irq 5 which I cant use in Linux. dont know why I spent the $80 on it.. should have gone back and spent another $14 for a lucent modem again.

I use this same modem to connect with Linux, WinME, Win98
& BeOS. If you are having problem getting Linux to recognize
the modem, you should do this...

...as 'ROOT' ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem <enter>

all Linux programs should now recognize the modem as
&quot;/dev/modem&quot; .... use init AT&F1

Can never get 5610B work on NT4 sp6, even usb tech. support provide some steps still can not make it work. I'm waiting for their solution.... don't buy it if you are using NT4.

UPDATE: I just purchased one of these 5610b v.92 modems for a client and was getting poor connect speeds (37 k MAX). After looking through the software on the cd (which I rarely install) I decided to put the Com Center on. Well, after running the Instant Update, it completed a firmware update and a modem driver update (I THINK). Connection speeds are normal now. 47 k but better quality connect than the softmodem that was fried by our friend Lightning.

Good luck to you.

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back