Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new users can't login

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmetteauer

IS-IT--Management
Aug 31, 2001
We are running Windows NT 4.0 TSE with Citrix thin client running on Macintosh workstations.
New users must be in the admin group to login their first time. Then I can remove this group membership and their account will work. I know this is in the permissions but does anyone know where.

Programs/Admin Tools/User Manager/Groups...

Why do they need to login under this group first....???

Hope this helps.....!!

The following message is generated.
User Environment

The operating system was unable to load your profile.
Please contact your network administrator.(5)

Once I place them in the admin group & allow them to login in once then I can remove them from the admin group and their profile works fine after that. Two files are created after the first login, NTuser and ntuser.dat.

Thanks

Without any real testing (quick & dirty) I would say that you have locked down permissions on the Profiles and/or Temp directory or on the "Allusers" / "Default User" profile folders. Need to open those up. -- Devil Dog --

Hi
I just suggested these tools in antoher thread in this forum but they are really great in situations like this. Sysinternals ( has two tools called Filemon and Regmon. With theese you can do a capture when a new user logs on and see what files or registry entries that he cannot access. these are shown with an Access denied entry in one column. This should help you solve the problem. Hope it helps.

/Hof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back